Friday, July 2, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

I have a diet of an undergraduate squirrel, except with good quality Korean ramen. When I wake up – not in the morning – but the second time – quite definitely in the afternoon – I help myself to a large bowl of black walnut ice cream. It’s a Midwestern thing (the flavour that is, not the habit of waking up to a bowl of ice cream).

When I wake up the first time, just pre-dawn, it’s dark, strong, bitter coffee with a dash of milk. And some hurried bites from a granola bar in between Shermans. A good amount of trail mix is consumed on drives between the trailer and study site.

I’m down to one sit-down meal: dinner. I have enough single-serving frozen meals to last me a good two weeks. And I’ve been happily harvesting the bounty of the summer: melons, cherries, nectarines, white peaches, etc.

Copious amounts of tea – Chinese and black tea, sometimes sweetened – is consumed throughout the day, and a cupful when I wake up the third time, just prior to the midnight shift.

So let me rephrase my previous statement: I have a diet of an undergraduate squirrel, with a proclivity for iced tea, fresh fruit and Midwestern desserts. And only good quality Korean ramen.

No comments: