Saturday, July 3, 2010

Who’s on First?

Julie: “I know you’re worried about your woodrats. I’m more worried about getting mauled by a mountain lion.”

Hmmm… perhaps my priorities are sometimes skewed. Like this morning when I had to save my flea-infested woodrat in the NW corner from a four-foot rattlesnake, which was none to happy with my interference. The feeling was mutual. He was quite a beauty though, at least as much as I could appreciate it after I had a chance to stuff my heart back in place, and calm the thudding in my chest.

Work has always been my #1 priority in life. Then there’s school, which is also up there. Family, friends, and loved ones factor in as well. And more recently, a renewed commitment to edge myself upwards too.

So these days, it’s getting awfully crowded and top-heavy. Each aspect of my life jostles for top billing while I stubbornly refuse to prioritize and try and do it all. It’s no wonder I’m feeling exhausted, worn out and very ready for a break.

I’ve had five hours sleep in the last 48 hours and my campground is overrun with holiday revelers. For once, I am prioritizing one aspect of my life above all others. The next three days are mine: I am bear-canistered and pepper-sprayed.

My time begins in the morning. Good night.

No comments: