Monday, June 21, 2010

Sleep-Deprived Mutterings

Our first 10-night trapping run is kicking my ass. 4-5 hours of sleep each morning is starting to catch up. It’s all I can do to keep up with data (never mind data checking), and trapping needs and preparation.

The fact that I doubled my Shermans in the last three days may have something to do with the sheer fatigue I’m battling at the moment; or perhaps it’s the telemetry project I volunteered for that is about to take over my afternoons.

Voles, bleepin’ voles. If they are out there, I will find them, track them down, trap them and vaccinate them. Now it’s entirely possible that they have been plagued out – this is a plague study after all – but I don’t actually know that. So I proceed as if I’m missing some magical formula that will miraculously materialize voles before me. Hence I’m trapping at 6 plots consecutively with 120 Shermans. And no, of course I haven’t stopped trapping my woodrats.

Where are you, my measly, mean-tempered Microtus munchkins?

No comments: