Monday, June 7, 2010

< Pause >

Flood warning, tornado watch and severe thunderstorms: guess it’s time for a break.

In 14 trapping nights, we’ve caught 60+ individual woodrats. Not too shabby. We have vaccine arriving in a few days, and hopefully, the transponders will begin working too so we can start pit tagging, because trying to read tiny ear tags via headlamp is not advisable for a pair of 30-something-year-old eyes.

Vole trapping has a taken a bit of a back seat but is about to hit center stage pronto. It seems every time I reach some level of comfort, I throw myself neck-deep into something new.

Julie (volunteer) has been a welcome addition (note: she’s also a meat-loving, elk-hunting Texan mother of four, with a surprising fascination with my bone-crunching, cartilage-munching, marrow-sucking eating habits). She has been coping well considering I have been moving traps around on her almost daily. She started working on arrival, giving up the option of taking a day to adjust to the night schedule (bonus point #1), and then bare-handed a grab on a suddenly-awake, recently-anesthetized woodrat two nights ago (bonus point #2).

It *almost* feels like I know what I’m doing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's as if i caught a brand new, reimagined episode, mid-season, of a long forgotten tv series (one that took a more than 15 year hiatus). And wondering if i should continue watching; knowing full well that if i did, i may be drawn in. At the same time, afraid that it may taint what little memory i have left of the wonderment i experienced all those years ago with the original series when it first crawled out of its shell (hint, hint)...

auntie tini said...

Well, hello there blast from the past. Based on the timeline and the first name, I'd venture a guess I can put two and two together. How's life been treating you? As to whether your memory will be tainted from watching on, I'd guarantee it. I've lived a couple of lifetimes since.

Unknown said...

Ah, thank you, for responding. You are far kinder than i am to my past. Life is, well, the way it is but God is good, and that's what matters. Quite an interesting life you've lived so far. And, honestly, you've got lots more ahead of you!

If you'd like, do email me at ganebay@gmail.com as i do feel very self concious catching up while the world watches. Either way, it was an utter thrill 'tracking you down' and i hope we can 'preserve' our contact. Hope to hear from you, when you can, if you're able, seeing how busy you are, trapping, studying, living...