Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Return of Night Owl

The best-laid plans look so good on paper. After a few days of solid overnight trapping, an unexpected fog and misting rain rolled in this morning and I lost two woodrats to hypothermia. It was the best trapping night so far – well over 30 woodrats in 60 traps. But the casualties are driving me to drink.

So the midnight shift it on, as soon as this next storm system passes on by. I’m a little excited actually. I’ve worked nights before spotlighting, but that’s a fair bit more passive than trapping by night. I’m always a bit dismayed that I haven’t had the chance to appreciate the gorgeous night sky since it’s bedtime at 10 PM, and it only gets dark around 9 PM. I wonder what else I’ll see … Coyotes? Bobcats? Anything bigger? Sweet!

Oh, and despite a previous claim on trapping a white-footed mouse, that’s a blatant lie. I have no idea what I caught. There are about a half dozen of so Peromyscus romping around this area. They all look like mice, have large ears, weigh very little, and come in enough color variations to drive me batty. BUT, I’m now positive, absolutely sure, and fervently certain, that a white-footed mouse is not what I caught.

No comments: