Friday, May 21, 2010

Death by Scruffing

There are small mammals and then, there are small mammals. The smallest juvenile PD I handled was 190 grams. The white-footed mouse that I accidentally killed today while ear tagging was 12.5 grams. Apparently, I scruffed it too hard and snapped its neck. I also resuscitated a juvenile woodrat back to life, and was squirted by breast milk by a lactating female. And then there was the vole that died under anesthesia, which led to my decision not to anesthetize anything smaller than a woodrat. I caught yet another vole, which upon hearing about my new rule, decided to be a pain in my a*** and landed a good solid bite on my right thumb. But the saddest tale for the day was the white-footed mouse, which triggered the Tomahawk trap at the entrance, and practically guillotined itself.

I am really, really, really hoping for an uneventful day of trapping tomorrow.

No comments: