Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Tropical Bones Doth Protest

It was 2° Fahrenheit on Friday morning, and my breath fog froze little droplets on my eyelids. On the upside, my dexterity with gloves is rapidly improving.

Week #2 started off really well until I lost a camera … drowned it, to be precise. Apparently, one of my sites is part of the flood plains for the Ohio River and managed by the Army Core of Engineers. Imagine my surprise when I showed up on Wednesday to find my site six feet under water. A hard lesson.

Apart from the stumble midweek, the rest of the work went well. Finding all 60 cameras again has been tricky – some sites are crystal clear in my mind, while others are fuzzy. The sites have started to blend in and there have been instances where I have zero memory of being there and couldn’t tell you if I set up the camera up a slope, on a hill, in a dip. Thank goodness for GPS (when it’s working!)

The first week of photos have been fruitful with shots of bobcats, coyotes, grey foxes, and even a red fox. Lots of opossum and raccoons, some skunks; deer and wild turkey are everywhere. Among the most memorable photos so far: a coyote peeing on our bait tree and a bow hunter scared out of his skin by the sudden flash from the camera.

No comments: