Sunday, January 11, 2009

The First Week

It’s been a helluva week. I am possibly the most accident-prone field technician in history. First, I slip on ice and land on my ass in an impressive fall (score: 8.7) in front of my boss and a cop car in the parking lot of the Life Science II building in Southern Illinois University. That was Tuesday.

Then, I rip my thumb open while attempting to nail a sardine can to a tree. Of course I pretended everything was okay. After all, all I had to do was take a nail and nail it through a sardine can to a tree. And I might have gotten away with my blunder unnoticed had the sardines been packed in tomato sauce, but they were packed in soybean oil instead. So, I drip, drip, drip blood all over the sardine can, hammer, nail, and pretty much most of my gear. That was also Tuesday.

On Thursday, I noticed my right toe was swollen. I iced it. Odd … don’t remember hurting it. It’s the top of my toe too, below my nail, so I would have had to drop something on my foot, and surely I would have remembered that. The next day, while nailing a sardine can to a tree (another day, another can, another tree), I drop my hammer to pick up wire and a wire cutter, except my right toe got in the way of my hammer and the ground. That was Friday (and apparently Wednesday too) and yes, my right toe is still swollen.

Remarkably, I still have the job, working with a great team of four (total). I am one half of the East crew, stationed out of Harrisburg. The other three, all of whom have homes in Carbondale take turns working the East and West crews, so every month, I get a new flat mate during the work week. This month, it’s Carolyn, a Masters student at SIU, who’s from Michigan and likes Celtic folk music.

What a week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember...Try not to lose any limbs!