Monday, May 18, 2009

Random Thoughts from Another Time Zone

It’s 9 AM and I see the sign: “see the largest prairie dog in the world!” But in Kansas?? Well, I have been struggling to find something nice to say about the state, and this sounded tacky enough to be worthwhile. But the signs led to a gas station, and the PD statue – apparently larger than the one in the Badlands – won’t be unveiled till this coming weekend. An uncontested claim it will remain. Which leaves me with nothing nice to say about Kansas, except that its speed limit is 70 mph. Oh, and at Kanorado, which is Exit 1, a whole mile from Colorado, I saw familiar burrows of my first PD colony for 2009. I left Kansas with a smile at least.

From Colorado on up to Wyoming, the pronghorn came out to play; I started to pass more pickup trucks and drivers with cowboy hats; and there was even a Wall Drug billboard.

I drove 719 miles today. This is my fifth road trip in one year, logging some 20,000 miles. As a result, my U.S. geography is improving … in my spare time this afternoon somewhere between Cheyenne and Sheridan, I learned that I could name 44 out of the 50 states. The region I performed worst in is the northeast, where I lived! Figures.

My appetite came back.

Hunger = Cranky x (Alone in Car) x 719 miles

I have sympathy for friends who have had to bear the brunt of my hunger crankiness.

No comments: