Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bon Voyage … Au Revoir?

I now officially have two field seasons under my belt, and in just five weeks, I start my third. Thus a new cycle begins.

My field apartment is devoid of funishings – even the retro tiger-striped couch found a new home. The mud stains on the carpet have been valiantly scrubbed at though not removed, the fridge emptied, and I’ve taken out the trash. My trunk-load of possessions have been washed/laundered/wiped clean and smelling a fair bit better than they’ve been in a while.

It’s time to roll. I have eight states in my sights and 1000+ miles to drive, though not all at once. I’ll be moseying along for a week of R&R, enjoying some time alone to reflect & review.

It’s been an unexpected four months. No ordinary field season, but then again, I don’t think I’ve had many ordinary experiences this past year. I’m leaving with plenty to think about, and some major decisions to make. I predict looking back at the summer of 2008 through the end of 2009 as a time of carefree abandon and self-discovery; a remarkably fortunate time to have in my life.

And then, I anticipate life coming at me at full speed. As it turns out, growing up is hard to do … even at 32.

No comments: