Thursday, June 12, 2008

The ins and outs of Interior

I have a new definition for ‘small town America’… it’s called Interior - Population: 67. As some of my former colleagues were quick to point out, an average NYC subway car easily carries 100 pax, or more during peak hours. The place to hang out was the gas station (last year, it was the only place with internet access) – but don’t fill your tank here, because gas is almost $4 a gallon (yep, the $4 milestones hasn’t reached here yet, and my last $4+ gallon top-up was Pennsylvania). Rapid City, about 1.5 hours away, is the best option for groceries and entertainment, though in a pinch, Wall Drug is a mere 20 minutes away. Wall Drug is a South Dakota institution – I’ll tell you more about it when I visit – but it’s certainly peaked my interest. There were only about 80 Wall Drug billboards between Sioux Falls and here, mixed in with other ‘lifestyle’ messages, including anti-animal activists, pro-life, hunting, Harley’s, etc.

This isn’t Kansas anymore … it’s Kansas on steroids.

No comments: